The Nevada State Apartment Association (NVSAA) is a non-profit organization who provides the Nevada multihousing industry with legislative support, education and community outreach to benefit our membership and the communities we serve. The NVSAA is devoted to supporting the diversity, integrity and ever-changing environment of the multifamily industry. We are devoted to you.
IT'S ABOUT TEAMWORK
Great Quotes and the Meanings Behind Them
The Nevada State Apartment Association (NVSAA) recently completed an exercise at our Annual Board Retreat. This exercise introduces the topic of leadership and encourages each Board Member to make a personal statement about his or her understanding of what makes a good leader. We placed thoughtful leadership quotes on the walls. The quotes touched on different aspects of leadership; in short, they had a variety of different meanings. We asked the Board of Directors to leave their chairs and walk around the room reading each of the quotes (in no particular order). Then have them stand by one quote that resonates well with their personal views on what makes a good leader. When all Board of Directors selected a quote we had each Director explain to the group why his or her chosen quote is important to them -- share their leadership insight. Here were the quotes, who wrote them and what they meant:
You can judge a person’s character by the way he treats people who can’t help him or hurt him.
• Character says everything about a person, you either have it or you don’t. You can’t fake it.
• Treat others with respect.
• Coach and bring out the best in everyone.
• Stand by your team.
It’s not hard to make decisions when you know what your values are.
- Roy Disney
• Values are important in your personal life as well.
• It is a great feeling to know that other people are thinking “what would she do”.
• Values make it easier to make decisions, and the right ones.
• Make sure that your CD’s know what you want and preach it.
Few things can help an individual more than to place responsibility on him, and to let him know that you trust him.
– Booker T. Washington
• Trust – if you fail, someone can help pick you back up.
• Loose the ego.
• Trust your associates. They will make mistakes and trust that they will learn from them.
First-rate people hire first-rate people; second-rate people hire third-rate people.
– Leo Rosten
• We’ve all had bad hiring experiences.
• Even though you are frustrated and overwhelmed, strive to hire the right person.
• The 2nd rate person will reveal themselves in the end.
• Don’t make emotional decisions.
• Don’t create problems by hiring the wrong person.
It is our responsibilities, not ourselves that we should take seriously.
– Peter Ustinov
• Laughter is the spice of life.
• Motivate people, create loyalties.
The way to get things done is to not mind who gets the credit of doing them.
– Benjamin Jowett
• It doesn’t matter how things get done, the end result is what matters.
• It is all about the team.
• You can learn so much from others, don’t be intimidated.
Discipline is the soul of an army.
– George Washington
• Discipline creates a better person.
Nothing will ever be attempted, if all possible objections must be first overcome.
– Samuel Johnson
• If you put a challenge out there and you don’t know all of setbacks or know how or when you are going to get there … just get started.
The difficult we do immediately; the impossible takes a little longer.
– Slogan of the United States Army Services Forces
• There is nothing we can’t accomplish as a team.
Feel free to use this exercise with your teams, it is a great team builder and ice breaker to see where your team stands.
Record-setting tourism and the strongest convention attendance in several years are driving employment growth and creating apartment demand Las Vegas. Job growth is well above the national average, spurring developers to complete projects that were mothballed since the recession. In addition, multifamily permitting is trending more than 60 percent higher as builders rush to keep up with demand for rental space. While more than 1,400 apartments have been completed during the past year, vacancy fell sharply and concession activity nearly halted on well-located properties near employment hubs. The leisure and hospitality sector is providing the biggest job gains in the economy, although more corporations are relocating to the metro due to its position as a travel destination and the lack of a state income tax. The new workers hired by these companies are choosing to rent in prime areas to the southwest of the city, close to shopping centers, freeways and the Strip. Single-family housing costs in these areas are above the metro average, spurring strong rental growth and pushing vacancy down. Tightening operations will lift rents up 3.4 percent this year, more than 100 basis points above inflation.
You can be THE FIRST to know what's happening in the Las Vegas housing market each and every month. FastFacts is the e-newsletter that tells you exactly what's going on in both the new and existing home market in terms of volume, prices, and trends.
I think it's fascinating how consumer-to-business connections change over time ... and I'm always paying attention.
With over 2.6 million apartment units updated each month, ALN Apartment Data is one of the most complete and accurate data provider available anywhere in the country. The Las Vegas Apartment Market Overview for January 2015 is now available to view.